How to Use Search Option on Kindle?
Kindle’s search function allows you to find related items in your content and on the Internet.
To perform a search:
- Type in your search term, the Search line will automatically appear. You can use whole words or partial words, and no distinction is made between lower and upper case. You can enter up to 255 characters.amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/03/85/37/72/385377210.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of search input field on Kindle." width="400" height="30" align="middle" />
- Move the 5-way to the right to highlight the content or location to search and press the 5-way to select. The arrow indicates that more Search options are available if you scroll in the direction indicated.amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/09/92/93/46/992934610.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of search options available on Kindle" width="515" height="33" align="middle" />
Types of Searches
Here’s a quick description of the available search options:
- Find: Searches the item you’re currently reading for the search term(s).
- My Items: Searches all of your content (including text, metadata and annotations in downloaded items, archived items, personal documents, and local reference materials) for the search term(s).
- Store: Searches for your term(s) in the titles, descriptions, and content of items available for purchase from the Kindle Store.
- Google: Searches Google.com for indexed websites containing the search term(s).
- Wikipedia: Searches Wikipedia.com for entries containing the search term(s).
- Dictionary: Searches your default dictionary on your Kindle for the search term(s).
Viewing Search Results
Kindle displays a Search Results page when the requested search is completed. Use the Next Page and Previous Page buttons if there are more results than fit on the current page. If your results contain a specific item or website, you’ll be able to underline and select specific items using the 5-way controller.
Kindle displays all titles that contain your search term(s) and shows total instances for your term(s) in each item to the left of the title. To see all results for a specific title, select it with the 5-way controller.
amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/03/85/37/78/385377830.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of available search results on Kindle" width="301" height="170" align="middle" />
After you select a specific title from the search results or if you limited your search results to a specific title originally, you’ll see a results page that displays all the locations where the search term(s) appear. You can select and view the locations listed using the 5-way controller. Use the Back button to return to your results page.
amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/03/85/37/86/385378650.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of reading location entries from search results on Kindle" width="301" height="230" align="middle" />
A Store search takes you to the Kindle Store where you can browse available titles.
amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/03/85/37/89/385378970.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of results from Kindle Store search on Kindle" width="301" height="213" align="middle" />
When you look up the meaning of a word, Kindle displays definitions from default dictionary. You can use the 5-way controller to select specific words within the definition to see them defined at the bottom of the screen.
amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/03/85/37/68/385376810.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of definition detail from search results on Kindle" width="301" height="167" align="middle" />
When you’re connected to Whispernet and select “wikipedia” or “google” as your search option, Kindle opens Basic Web and displays the search results from the chosen website. If links are available, you can navigate to other web pages using the 5-way controller.
Setting Show and Sort Options
Here’s a list of the Sort options available:
amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/09/92/86/08/992860850.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of Show options for type of content displayed on Kindle." width="393" height="406" align="middle" />
- Most Recent First: Sorts your content by the most recently added or recently opened items first.
- Title: Sorts your content alphabetically by title of the item.
- Author: Sorts your content alphabetically by the author’s last name or publisher’s name. If you choose this option, periodicals will be sorted by their dates.
To change how your content is organized on the Home screen:
- Move the 5-way controller up to the top of the screen to underline the current Sort settings. By default, these are typically “Showing All Items” and “By Most Recent First.”
- Move the 5-way to the right to see aditional Sort options.
- Make your selection using the 5-way controller.
Downloading New Content
To download content pending delivery:
- If you are not already on the Home screen, press the Home key.
- Check the wireless status indicator to make sure you are connected to wireless. If not, select “Turn Wireless On” from the Home menu.
- Press the Menu button and select “Sync & Check for Items” using the 5-way controller.
If you use lose your wireless connection while downloading, the download will resume once you regain your wireless connection.
amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/09/92/95/05/992950590.gif" border="0" alt="Illustration of download progress" width="303" height="401" align="middle" />
- Does Amazon Really Need High Profile People to Develop Apps for Kindle?
- How & Where to Transfer MP3 Files on Kindle?
- How & Where to Transfer MP3 Files on Kindle?
- How Can I Listen Music While I’m Reading an eBook on Kindle?
- How Can I Listen Music While I'm Reading an eBook on Kindle?
|ASUS 32GB NEXUS 7 Jelly Bean Android Tablet - Brown||Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 8GB 7" Touchscreen Android Tablet - Silver - REFURBISHED||Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 8GB 7" Touchscreen Android Tablet - Titanium Silver|