Kindle Webkit Browser: a Surprise with Some Purpose?
With new Kindle 3 Amazon has introduced webkit-based browser instead of the old basic browser. I’ve already posted a piece titled “Whats so special about new webkit based browser on kindle 3” a few days back. The heavy internet traffic to that post seems to me that people are very much interested to know about the implications of webkit browser on Kindle 3. Amazon didn’t imlement many things with the new browser yet. However, there must be some reasons why Amazon has switched to open source webkit -based browser which has been the foundation of Apple’s Safari, and GGoogle Chrome browser.
Amazon takes Kindle seriously, and is thinking ahead of time. A couple of months back, Amazon posted a job looking for some expertise in web browse developing, and that position has been fulfilled. There is no doubt that it is taking intergration of web browser very seriously. One of the definite reson for such an attempt is that Amazon wants to make the Kindle browser rich enough so that customers can buy products (not only ebooks) from the Kindle itself securely.
In order to get more idea, we can find what applications have so far been developed using webkit browser engine. Here is the list of some applications collected from WebKit wiki:
- email clients: mail-apple
- Instant messengers/chat clients: MSN messenger, Yahoo! messenger,
- RSS readers: NetNewsWire, PixelNews, MiNews
- Web Development Applications: Adobe Integrated runtime, Coda, CSS edit, iWeb – Apple, Rapid Weaver
- Weblog editor: MarsEdit, iBlog
- Text editor: TextMate, BBedit
- Kiosk software: eCrisper, Kiosk Browser
- Media Players: Real Player, Bookpedia
- Help Viewer: Help viewer – apple, Life saver
- Desktop wallpaper browser: iBrowser, Web desktop
Now you can imagine how Amazon can do with WebKit in future. The current state of eink screen can’t afford to do many things. However, it has to be remembered that Kindle 3 is not the end of Kindle. I hope there will be another Kindle in one year, which might have both color and touch screen.. That will open up a lot of possibilities for Amazon.
You have to remember that Amazon is going to open Kindle app store soon. There are some limitations for apps to be built from within the Kindle ebook reader application. If the WebKit browser is integrated with the reader application then the possibilites open up widely. I think Amazon is heading to that direction.
- How Can I Use Kindle 3 Webkit Browser?
- What’s So Special About New WebKit-based Browser on Kindle 3?
- What's So Special About New WebKit-based Browser on Kindle 3?
- Does Amazon Really Need High Profile People to Develop Apps for Kindle?
- First-Time Kindle (or Kindle 3) Owners: Things To Consider
|ASUS 32GB NEXUS 7 Jelly Bean Android Tablet - Brown||Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 8GB 7" Touchscreen Android Tablet - Silver - REFURBISHED||Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 8GB 7" Touchscreen Android Tablet - Titanium Silver|